It has been a phenomenal journey for the past 9 years - when I founded my eponymous brand in 2013, people thought I was crazy to pair lab-grown diamonds and gemstones with high fine jewellery. I believe in a present and future where nature and science co-exist in a positive balance - through responsible practice that work with nature to better it; through material science and circular innovations that are mindful to both planet and people. I love the juxtaposition of natural and man-made, precious and non-precious materials together, it is luxury with a touch of humbleness.
Minouche Shafik, the director of London School of Economics said, “In the past jobs were about muscles, now they are about brains, and in the future they will be about the heart.” Having the right intentions changes everything - it becomes the guiding light in every decision you make. To always remain curious and humble; to learn from the past to offer a different perspective in the present, always in mind for a better future.
As Maya Angelou said, “Do the best you can until you know better. And when you know better, do better.”"
- Anabela Chan
Independently founded in London in 2013, Anabela Chan is the first fine jewellery brand in the world to champion laboratory-grown gemstones and recycled metals paired with high jewellery design and artisanal craftsmanship, always driven by a focus on ethical and sustainable innovations.
Today the brand also work with a carefully curated selection of fully traceable and responsible gemstones by artisanal miners, with a commitment to support multiple solutions to the cause that are mindful to planet and people, supporting local and global communities where it matters most.
It was and still is Anabela’s mission to offer a different perspective in the industry - challenging the past for a better future - paving the way for change at pace by presenting equally beautiful, breathtaking one-of-a-kind creations that move away from the traditional mining industry tainted with humanitarian and environmental issues; at the same time opening the notoriously exclusive doors of high ﬁne jewellery to a much wider, younger and global demographic through a more accessible price point never possible before.
A pioneer for merging science with art - it is jewellery of the future from diamonds mined from the sky with atmospheric carbon-dioxide capture technology (2019), to natural pearls raised by people and exotic ﬁshes that regenerate coral reefs and ocean ecosystems in the process (2021); to re-inventing precious metals with recycled and reﬁned aluminium from soda cans (2020) - an inspiring story of trash to treasure that challenges the very concept of preciousness and luxury through creativity and innovation.
Sustainability is at the heart of everything we do at Anabela Chan since day one of incorporation - governed by three pillars:
• Human & Ethical Sustainability - with a focus on human welfare free from exploitation, with fair pay, safe working conditions and access to basic human rights including clean water, healthcare and education regardless of geopolitical demographic.
• Environmental Sustainability - with a focus on minimising carbon footprint, pioneering circular material innovation and supporting nature conservation and restoration projects worldwide.
• Social & Economical Sustainability - with a focus on contribution to society locally and globally through business development, education and philanthropy.
•A small company with a mighty impact - Our AC Ocean Initiative alone has the capacity to remove 8000+ tonnes of CO2 from entering the atmosphere since 2021 to date. Through partnering with The Seatrees Project, we create critical habitat for marine life and provide sustainable employment for local communities in West Papua, one of the world’s richest ocean biodiversities.
•Our London Boutique and Atelier are powered by 100% renewable energy, single-use plastic free, with daily operations governed by the principles of Reduce, Reuse and Recycle. Our ground-breaking use of recycled aluminium from waste soda cans is a world’s first and pioneer in circular material innovation. We also use 100% recycled gold and silver in our main collections.
•Our bespoke service focus on transforming pre-loved jewellery by re-purposing gemstones and precious metals into new contemporary designs with a circular economy.
•Our use of laboratory-grown gemstones are cultivated in a science laboratory rather than mined from the ground, utilising renewable green energy where possible, eliminating the destructive use of land mining and its associated air, soil and water pollution, by-products of toxic gases released into the atmosphere, lost of natural habitats, deforestation, displacement of people and wildlife.
•In 2019 we debuted the first AC bespoke diamond ring featuring a diamond created with atmospheric carbon dioxide captured from the air, a technology patented by Climeworks Switzerland with Aether Diamond USA; with a new collaboration to launch in 2023 with Sky Diamonds UK.
‘A rising star in the world of sustainable jewellery, Anabela Chan found inspiration in marine life for the Mermaid’s Tale Collection of magniﬁcent, unique creations that use lab-grown emeralds, Paraiba tourmalines, rubies, sapphires and turquoise.’ - Francesca FearonDiscover More
HUMAN & ETHICAL SUSTAINABILITY
We need to address the elephant in the room which is not in London, Paris or Milan - but further afield in East, West, South Africa, Sri Lanka, India, Afghanistan, Myanmar, Colombia, China and beyond with at risk mining communities that fuel the multi-billion dollar fine jewellery industry, and where it matters most.
• Our pioneering use of laboratory-grown gemstones are responsibly sourced without the untraceable provenance and destructive use of land mining.
• Every creation is passionately hand-crafted by skilled artisans at the atelier, a truly slow and considered process honouring centuries-old craftsmanship with new innovative ideas. Anabela also works with individual artisans personally around the world for special projects who also adhere to our Environmental and Ethical Code of Conduct.
• Our natural gemstones are a part of our Fully Traceable & Responsible Atelier Future Collection with the Moyo Gems Project, using blockchain technology with every stone traced back to the individual miner her/himself where they are guaranteed to receive 90-95% of the export price of each stone, a world’s first, with proceeds re-invested back into local communities to fund education, social and community infrastructure support powered by the international non-profit organisation Pact and the GIA.
• Our UK based female-founded team celebrates well-being, diversity and inclusivity with: flexible working, above London-living wage, shared-success collective bonus scheme, open dialogue monthly round-table meetings, flexible maternity support and enhanced pay.
• We are currently 67% Female, 50% Asian, Black, Mixed and Other Ethnicity.
SOCIAL & ECONOMICAL SUSTAINABILITY
• Anabela Chan is an independently-founded business with organic growth driven by re-investment of profits alone, without a single loan, debt or external investment to date. We believe this is the most sustainable way to grow and sustain a business.
• In January to June 2020 alone, we raised over USD$88,000 for 10 charities worldwide from emergency Covid-19 relief funds, The Trussell Trust food banks, Age U.K., NHS charities, Mission Oxygen India, Elton John Aids Foundation, The Stephen Lawrence Charitable Trust and NAACP Legal Defence and Educational Fund.
• With a focus on Education & Mentorship, Anabela Chan is appointed Visiting Lecturer at Royal College of Art from 2021, and Art & Design Ambassador at Roedean School to mentor 700+ girls age 13-18 on creative careers. In 2021, Anabela presented a virtual and IRL Masterclass in Sustainable Jewellery Design at the Royal Institute of Great Britain, open to industry, schools and the public. We believe in supporting our communities behind the scenes, we do not actively publicise or advertise our purpose-driven initiatives - the focus is always impact-driven.
ANABELA CHAN TIMELINE:
2012 - A life-changing trip visiting colour gemstone mines in Sri Lanka during her final year at the Royal College of Art ignited a journey of alternative material science research and focus on laboratory-grown gemstones and recycled metals.
2013 - Anabela Chan founded in London, launched e-commerce and IRL retail with Selfridges, The Conran Shop, Luisa Via Roma Florence and Lane Crawford Hong Kong. Private trunk shows in Milan, Paris, Hong Kong, Dubai.
2014 - Opened 1st stand alone store at The Ham Yard Hotel, Piccadilly London. Lady Gaga first to wear Anabela Chan creations in public.
2015 - Anabela travelled to Silicon Valley California to collaborate with The Diamond Foundry, using lab-grown diamonds powered solely by solar energy, with a zero carbon footprint.
2016 - Launched in the USA with FiveStory NY, Moda Operandi. Launched dedicated collections in support of Women for Women International and Wild at Heart Foundation. Further US expansion with representation in Texas, Atlanta, Los Angeles.
2017 - Pop-Up at Harrods Luxury Jewellery Room, Fortnum & Mason’s as the first lab-grown gemstone jewellery brand in their fine jewellery assortment.
2018 - First major stockists in China with The Beast Shop. Rihanna wears AC Creations for global Fenty Campaigns and Shows.
2019 - Pioneered the world’s first fine jewellery collection with recycled and refined aluminium from soda cans, a research project 2 years in the making, utilising PVD process from the automobile industry. Made the first AC Bespoke Ring featuring a diamond made from atmospheric carbon dioxide. Stars in AC - Beyonce wears AC Cascade Earrings with lab-grown diamonds, Zoe Kravitz at the Met Gala, Lupita Ngongo at the Oscars.
2020 - Opened new Flagship Store at the iconic Sloane Street, London. Launched world’s first fully traceable and responsible natural mined gemstone collection with Moyo Gems, using blockchain technology to guarantee miners to receive 90-95% of the export price of each rough gemstone. Became a partner for the charity Gem Legacy. Awarded Walpole Brands of Tomorrow.
2021 - Launched AC Ocean Initiative to restore coastal ecosystems in West Papua, Indonesia. Anabela Chan appointed Visiting Lecturer at Royal College of Art, and Art & Design Ambassador at Roedean School to mentor 700+ girls age 13-18 on creative careers. Presented a virtual and IRL Masterclass in Sustainable Jewellery Design at the Royal Institute of Great Britain. Opened residency in Dubai, UAE.
2022 - Awarded Walpole’s 50 Most Influential People in British Luxury. 10 leading ladies and gentlemen wear Anabela Chan Jewellery at the Academy Awards. Launched first genderneutral campaign. BBC Storyworks: Love Letters to Britain. Bloomberg Documentary: Anabela Chan - A 21st Century Jewellery Romance Story.